Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO I BLOCK POP UPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty2003

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
US
On an xp pro system - how can I block pop ups while using Internet Explorer 6???

I HATE THOSE DARN THINGS !!!!!!!!

Maybe any firewall you have has the inbuilt ability to do this. There are many freeware "Pop up" stoppers out on the Net. A search of Google would give you plenty of reading.

If you even applied the Google Toolbar to your IE 6, this has the ability added recently to stop "pop ups"

The only thing I dislike about the google toolbar is that it collects information about your browsing. I dislike products that collect personal information.

I use Avant Browser, which is a free browser that runs using IE's settings. It has it's own pop-up killer and cache cleaner too. Another good free browser is MyIE2, which is very similar to avant. Both of these are around ~1.5 MB, so they are quick to download.

Switch to Mozilla.

But for IE6, my comments are; I've looked at several of the freeware pop-up blocking software, and they generally try and identify a new browser window as a pop-up based on the page's title. Maybe they've gotten better than when I looked at them, but whatever, when I did, there was a delay between when a pop-up came up and the blocking software detected it, which made them rather pointless as the time between the pop-up and removal was enough to bother me.

Just my 2 cents.

To be honest, I don't think that there are any really good popup-blocking applications, and like Dakota81, was rather annoyed by the delay between popup and blocking software detection.
I would reccomend Opera, it comes with built-in popup blocking capability and it emulates IE6 as I recall.

-----------------------
Fishguy

I use both Web Washer and Popup Manager. Both work great.
Here are Web Washer's stats since 1/24/03
Filtered images: 44,074
Filtered windows: 11,873
Filtered scripts: 17,635
Filtered layers: 403
Filtered frames: 4,446
Filtered forms: 1,127
Filtered cookies: 0
Good cookies: 0
Cookies sent: 0
Images received: 159,312
Connections made: 288,968
Kilobytes sent: 116.9 MB

I would recommend downloading and installing Proxomitron 4.5

At its very basic level it is a ad filter and pop-up filter program all in one, but at its more advanced level it can do anything that can be done in html, ie convert all links so that if you click on the 1st half of the link it opens it in the current page and if you click on the second half of hte link it opens the link in a new window, it will block pop-ups when the page loads or unloads but allow pop-ups once the page has loaded (useful for banking websites etc), it will let you enter a list of websites to bypass the filtering for. It can strip backgrounds out, strip sounds out, stop blinking text, make all cookies session only, strip ads, stop javascript and a lot more. And in general it can make web browsing much faster since it strips out a lot of crap from the webpage which you dont need to download.

It works with ANY browser that supports proxy servers (ie all of them).
check out for a great filter set for Proxomitron (and links to the Proxo forum and downloads etc).

-------------------------------------------
There is no magic, only onions
-------------------------------------------

I like the new netscape. It's pop-up blocking almost seems intuitive.

I`ve used ZoneAlarm and it eliminated all the
pop-ups.

There's a growing scourge of popups which use the Windows messenger service (a popup application which has uses in corporate networks, but not really much point on a home pc. Of course, M$ had to turn it on by default...)

To disable Messenger service:
1. click Start > Run, Type "services.msc /s"
2. Scroll down to locate Messenger, right click on the word "Messenger" and select Properties.
3. Click the "General" tab
4. In the Start up panel field, click the down arrow and select Disabled. This stops it running each time Windows starts.
5. Just below in "Service Status", click on the Stop button. This will stop the process immediately

No more spam!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

When you install the &quot;googlebar&quot; there are 2 choices, 1 which gathers browsing stats and 1 that does not. Googlebar Isn't bad at blocking popups but it does have a habit of blocking the ones you want too.

Personally I have more success with the &quot;Opera&quot; browser (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back