Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I backup a SQL Database???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingtobetechy

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
GB
We are currently running a Microsoft SQL 7 Server and have installed Legato SQL Module 3.

We have created a group called SQL and client called 'SQLServerName'. We have input the save set as MSSQL: and the remote backup command nsrsqlsv.

When we try to manually start the SQL group we receive a message stating the backup was successful but it only takes approximately 3 minutes to backup, but I don't think this is correct.

The path d:\mssql7 has 300MB of data.

Your time and comments are appreciated.

You need to install the MSSQL module. There is a 30 day trial, and then you have to register a full version. It works very well for me. Read the documentation that came with Networker to see how to use the trial.

...frd

It sounds like you already have the SQL module installed. Depending on your tape drives, network etc., it may only take 3 minutes to back up 300mb. Did you look at your save set information via your index tab to see if the information was indeed backed up? You can have your SQL admin do a test recover to another server to check also, but I'm not sure how to do this from the client end.

We don't use the SQL module for most of our SQL databases. Our admins make a backup copy of the data using a SQL backup utility and Networker backs up that copy. I'm not a SQL person but the admins seem happy with this approach.

i have solved my SQL client backup problem recently, due to the client running win2k with networker SQL module 3 installed, it can only backup to networker server version higher than 6. another thing is backup 300mb in 3 mins should be ok, because my server have the backup bandwidth around 5 mb/s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back