Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I back up to more than one tape usin an autoloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamRam

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
I am trying to create a back up job that will writ to more than one tape. I am using BE 8.6 and an ADIC VLS SDX drive with an 11 slot magazine. I am not really familiar with Backup Exec but would really appreciate guidance from experts out there! Help!!!

Before answering this question, there are some questions that need to be answered.

1. Have you installed the BE software for the robot library. Or are you using the 60 day evaluation inastalltion of BE, as this will install the correct software.

2. What are you trying to achieve with the backup? Once you have established this look at the section in the manual about media rotation. You will also find that there is a media rotation wizard which helps you set up the media and the backup you require.

Hi and thanks for your response.

1. We are using the full version of BE 8.6 and have installed the drivers. Currently, we load 5 tapes in the magazine and use one tape for each day of the week. The problem is that we are backing up data from 3 new servers and I know we will run out of room on one tape.

The amount of daily data we need to back up exceeds the capacity of one tape (25Gig uncompressed 50Gigs compressed.) We'd rather not use compression.

I am using Veritas BE 8.6 and have a robotic library (LTO tapes). Some of my backups have used more than one tape and I didn't have to do anything. Veritas figured it out all by itself and the job log shows which tapes were used.

-Bill

Bill,

Thanks. I think the fact that when I first set up BE I set up the library so that the user could load up to 2 weeks worth of tapes. I partitioned each one of the slots.

Anyway, the person who is in charge of backups, spoke with Veritas and the guy walked her through the process. He also gave us a technical document which explains the process. I will post the document ID (I don't have it available right now) for those who may have a similar question.

In Veritas under the Devices tab. You right click on the name of the loader, a menu will pop up and then you click on the one that says Configure partitions. A menu will come up and you will be able to partition the slots there. You can put two or three together, and then set the job to go to that partition, and it will go to the first tape, then on over the the second tape, and even third if need be... Blonde

Here is the Veritas document TechNote ID: 206843

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back