Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I back up before Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebax

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi there,

Please help. My dads windows ME computer is suffering continous regular crashes and I've come to the conclusion that I need to format and reinstall everything for him.

Is there any way I can back up everything onto CD and then reinstall it all sequencially. I.e. simplify the reinstallation procedure.

Thanks in advance

In a word - no.

You need to back up personal data and settings. Apps will need to be reinstalled after the reload of ME (if you think about it, putting apps back as they were might just recreate your current problem). By all means copy the whole hard drive to CDs to make sure you don't forget anything - but reinstall all apps from their setups - don't try just copying the program files folder back (all sorts of registry entries, system files associated with original install will not be there after reload).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back