Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i avoid my email script ending up in the junk folder??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippytarka

Programmer
Jul 19, 2004
GB
so i've set up my email script that emails to multiple recipients, and i'm using bcc to hide the list of email adresses.

just one more thing to do .....how do i prevent my html email from ending up in the recipients junk mail folder????

When you use the PHP Mail function it goes through php and mails and uses the address specified in the php.ini file. However, this is usually the server account and whatever address is specified as the "php_value sendmail_from" will be the address the email is sent from. This always creates the problem that the emails are not recognized from valid senders and they get put in peoples junk mail folder.

People will just have to set that address to be accepted. Email servers do not act as relay servers most of the time.

If you want to override the email address in the php.ini file you can create an .htaccess file with the following in it then put the .htacess file in the root of your web directory:

# ------ Sendmail Override ------#
php_value sendmail_from your@email.com

Hope this helps!

NATE

mainframe.gif

Got a question? Search G O O G L E first.

There are also things you can do with your MTA if you are running Unix and spooling to a mailer under your control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back