Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I auto-refresh?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontee

Programmer
May 7, 2002
GB
Hi guys,
I'm working on a VB6 application that connects to an Oracle DB. The application (which sits on a server in London)generates a sequence of random signal numbers which a customer has to quote every time they request a transaction to be processed. If the correct signal number from the sequence is quoted, the status of that number is changed to 'used'.There will be about 200 concurrent user and each user changes about 1000 numbers a day. The users are currently in London and Dublin.

The problem is as follows. The users want their screen to automatically update if another concurrent user changes a signal number. Is there an event that can be triggered serverside every time a user changes a signal number that will update other users screen? What would be the performance/network implication of this? Or would a better solution be to code a timer event which refreshes every user's screen say every 30 secs or so. Would appreciate your comments / suggestions.

Niyi

I don't believe that there is an easy answer to your dilema. Bottom line is that you will have to make a decision based on your users needs and the hardware that you have to work with.

Things that you might need to consider.
1. Can the hardware support multiple updates for every single change.
2. Do the users need to see every single change as it happens. If they are away from their monitors they will not need to see changes until they get back.
3. How often will these changes occur. If there is an update every few seconds then it could really slow down the system and/or annoy the hell out of the users.

I am sure there are other factors, these were just off the top of my head.

I have used the timmer suggestion successfully. However it was just over a small intranet. I also allowed the users to determine their refresh rate (15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, etc) and had an automatic refresh when the program was reactivated after the users were away for a few minutes.

Hope this helps in some way. Maybe it will get some other people thinking and they will respond as well. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Thanks zemp, that was helpful. The suggestion about allowing the users to choose how frequently they want their screen to refresh was a really good one. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back