Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I associate file type to executable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarryC

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2000
NZ
Hi,
I want to associate .saf extension to executable. In W2K I just associate the file to application type but I cant work out how to do this in 98 as there does not appear to be an appropriate MIME type. Can anybody help me out?

Cheers, Garry.

As far as I know, in order to manually add non-Microsoft associations you need to have the application you want to associate to already installed on the PC.
What is a .saf file and what app works with that ?

Pascal.

You can use Windows File Manager (C:\Windows\winfile).
Once you have openned winfile, click on file then associate,type in your extension and browse to your executable.

Thanks Bourbaki, that worked for me.

The file is a self extracting .exe used to update an existing program on remote users computers. It needs to be emailed to them. The SAF extension is my own that I create by renameing the file. The reason for this is that our firewall and outlook 2002 both block .exe files from email. Neither block .saf :) With the association set up they can run the update directly from their email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back