Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I assign a method from a base form to the keypress event of a textbox in a derived form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffMG

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
FR
I'm trying to use a base class form to provide a simple function to all the forms in my project.

I want to be able to set the KeyPress event of any text boxes on the forms derived from my BaseForm
to be able to call that function something like this:

Code:
    public partial class BaseForm : Form
    {
        public BaseForm()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

public void txtBox_KeyDown(object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
        {
            if (e.KeyData == Keys.Enter)
            {
                e.SuppressKeyPress = true;
                SelectNextControl(ActiveControl, true, true, true, true);
            }
        }
    }

When I try to use the designer to assign the txtBox_KeyDown method it won't allow me, it says it's
defined already in the base class, if I manually edit the derived forms InitializeComponent to look like this:

Code:
            this.mtxtWorkScope.KeyDown += new System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventHandler(base.txtBox_KeyDown);

I can compile and run the project, no errors shown, and it works as expected (allowing Enter to move to next box)
but I then get C# 'panic mode' when I later try and edit the form.

What am I missing?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, it's a bit moot now, I have derived new classes for the main UI components, and put the {Enter}
handling in them, then done a find and replace to change all the instances of TextBox(), ComboBox() and CheckBox()
to use the new elements instead

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back