Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I ask for about two months off? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2016
US
I am pretty determined to get an apprenticeship at the Ayahuasca Foundation in Peru. My hope is that I will eventually learn to serve ayahuasca and have a career serving ayahuasca and other plant medicines of the Amazon. That means I will leave IT. One of their programs is six weeks, and I don't have even close to that kind of vacation "in the bank." Some places won't even let you accumulate that much time nowadays.

So, how can I ask for six weeks or even two months off so I can do this? I am happy to do this as UNPAID vacation. I just want to do the apprenticeship, so I can see if I really do want to try this as a career.

The apprenticeships have to be earned, and they can only be scheduled at certain times. I will need to know several months in advance to do this.

Or, should I just quit my job and take a chance on the apprenticeship. I'm 45 years old with 18 years of experience in system administration.

I know a few people in the UK who were allowed to take a six months sabbatical to go travelling. They were really getting a working visa & trying to find a job abroad, usually in Australia or America.

Most came back 6 months later, a few never returned and haven't looked back. Those that came back still had a fantastic time and made contacts that they could use in the future.

I know that this does not match your circumstances, but in the UK it is possible (or at least was a up to a couple of years ago).
Based on friends experiences selling it as you want to go travelling seems to have worked quite well.

Good Luck.

No, it doesn't match my circumstances at all. You are in the United Kingdom. I am in the USA. And why in the hell would anyone in Europe try to get a job in America? Do you know how American companies treat workers?

That all depends on where/who you work for in US. Some places are hell, some places are rather nice.
From your (re)post I assume you do work for one of those 'hell' places. If that's the case, you can only improve your situation by quitting your job and going to Peru. Good luck.

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Based on your last response, before you talk to them you should take a chill pill because you seem a bit irritated.

Not all companies in the U.S. treat their workers poorly.
I don't think there's much chance that you will be allowed to do that and have a job waiting for you when you get back.

Or, should I just quit my job and take a chance on the apprenticeship. I'm 45 years old with 18 years of experience in system administration.
At your age it sounds very risky as a "career move". If you knew you really wanted that, I'd say go for it, but not knowing you'd be happy/successful makes it a huge risk!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I, too, have lived and worked in Texas. Hmmmmmmm?

No income tax.

Right to work, so you aren't forced to subsidize a union if you choose not to.

Probably the best business environment in the nation.

I've never, NEVER ever felt that the firm I was working for treated me badly: Kentron/LTV, Vought/LTV, Vought/Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Bell/Textron.

You ought to cogitate your attitude.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Let me play the part of your Employer in a role playing game

Let's assume I am a reasonable employer. I would be asking questions like:
How difficult will it be for your peers to cover your workload in your absence
If Difficult, how likely is it I will need to cover the position internally with other personnel
If said resources are unavailable, are there external options
How much is all this juggling going to cost financially, politically, physically (i.e. headaches)
Are you worth all that bother?

Let's assume all of the above comes out in your favor and I really like you. Lets talk about your plans.
Do you really see this a career advancing within the company or is this more of a step out the door
How does the company benefit from keeping the door open and your seat warm for the duration
You speak of this as an apprenticeship, how does that work exactly. I've looked them up and it's more of a way of life than a job
At this point, it really comes down to how much you are worth and how easily you can be replaced no matter how much I like you.
I hesitate to make snap judgements but based on the info you have provided here and your responses so far, I don't think it's too likely that I would encourage this move. If you are committed to this path, I'd likely smile, give you a handshake and wish you luck.
Good-bye

For anyone who wants to see what this Foundation is about - interesting reading (depending on your interests of course)
Ayahuasca Foundation

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

That was a very sensible response. Indeed, why would an employer want to give me two months off? I've been asking myself that question as well. And I generally am seeing this as a way to go out the door.

For about 20 years, I have been hearing about how there is a "shortage" and "scarcity" of people with "good skills." Well, if there really is such a shortage, it shouldn't be tough. But I've never seen much evidence of that shortage anyway.

Quitting my job would definitely be a gamble, but I don't know how much of a gamble it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back