Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I animate letters in a typed word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrix

Technical User
Apr 12, 2000
GB
OK - What I'm trying to do is produce a simple animation where I start off with a word I type using the 'text' tool - say the word '<b>HELLO</b>'.<br><br>Now I want to animate each letter individually - so what is the most accurate way to do this?<br><br>The only way I have found to do this is this:<br>1, Create the typed word '<b>HELLO</b>'<br>2, Select the text and break it up into the 5 shapes (of each letter)<br>3, Create a symbol out of each of the letters.<br>4, Each letter would then be put on an individual layer, so they can be animated individually.<br>5, If the effect that I'm after, is an animation to 'fly in' each letter (i.e. '<b>H</b>', '<b>E</b>', '<b>L</b>' etc..) to form the word '<b>HELLO</b>' - then the last frame will be a pain to position each letter in the exact positions, accuratly enough, so as to look like the word has been typed as a single symbol.<br><br>There must be a more accurate and efficient method to get this effect!<br><br><br>Many thanks for any responses.<br><br>Mav

One way I have found to make this easier is:<br>&nbsp;1. Use the grid.<br>&nbsp;2.On the toolbar go to Window&gt;Inspectors&gt;object.<br><br>&nbsp;Here you can position the X and Y of your object exactly everytime. I have found this VERY useful.<br><br>Im no pro at this but hope this helps.<br>Paul

I've discovered a better way...<br><br>When pasting - use Ctrl+Shift V - this pastes in the exact location from where you cut/copied.<br><br><br>Mav.

Type your word exactly as you want it to end up!<br><br>Make 5 layers above this with the individual letters, and place them directly over the original text (Use the Zoom to get them accurate or put the snap on)<br><br>Turn off the eye of the original layer, so that you can't see the text.<br><br>Take, say the 1st layer, &quot;H&quot;, highlight it and Ctrl X to cut it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now type another &quot;H&quot; in the start position that you want.&nbsp;&nbsp;Create an ending key frame for the motion tween.<br>Highlight the &quot;H&quot; and delete it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste in original place.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make the frames a motion tween and Bob's your uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back