Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add subreports from a different folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridyen

Programmer
Jun 9, 2005
US
Microsoft's documentations states:

"The report that the subreport displays is stored on a report server, usually in the same folder as the parent report."

This implies to me that I should be able to bring in a report from somewhere other than my current project or call to one in another folder. I just can't figure out how to do this. Can anybody enlighten me here?

This is a snap to do in Crystal Reports through the UI by simply navigating to the folder and selecting the report. I have to assume RS has this feature and I'm just missing it somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Ok I found the solution for this. You can type in a fully qualified URL in the NAME field in the properties of the subreport.

I am also having this problem and tried typing the fully qualified URL in the NAME field and I still receive an error stating...

The ReportName for the subreport is not valid.

Does anybody have any other solutions?

have you tried a relative path: "../../NewPath/report.rdl" or something of the sort?

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

That is what I found too lazyluci. I can get the relative path method to work but that doesn't help if the subreport is on another server. Documentation clearly states that you can use a URL but you immediately get the ReportName not valid message.

By any chance could it be a permissions type issue? It may be a stretch, but it sounds like the app is just unable to see the report at all.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

No it's not a permissions issue. You're in a report project building a report in VS. You drag the subreport object onto the report layout and open the subreport properties window to key in the relative path or URL or the subreport you want to include. As soon as you key the ":" and/or "/" of the URL an icon indicating an error pops up. If you ignore it and try to save then it gives the full message. I believe it's local to the VS IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back