Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add internet to desktop pc with modem in another room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmunster123

Technical User
May 22, 2012
US
I'm using my dads internet in my bedroom with an external wireless card on my laptop, he has a cable modem in his office next to my room. I also want to add internet to my desktop pc. Do I just buy another modem, plug it in and run the ethernet cord to the computer? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Buy a wireless to USB widget - that is by FAR the easiest solution. Plug, configure and you're on.
FYI - another cable modem isn't an option - as you'd then pay the cable company for the second connection.

I have a wireless usb modem but I can't configure it, don't know how. I did load the software

Wireless modem is only an answer if you forget using it to get your ISP's connection. You could use it as a WAP if you could set it up that way.

Cheapest and fastest way would be a USB wireless adapter. An alternative would be power line adapters.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have an SMC usb ez connect adapter, I also have a usb Belkin adapter, none of them will connect, the Belkin asks me to connect to a higher usb port, the SMC software shows up but it won't connect(my fathers network is showing up in the software), I guess I could configure the SMC as a WAP?

You may have to provide a network name and passkey to get access. Also some setup stuff so your are dealing at the same level as the wireless router.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I put in the password and its giving me a signal now but I'm still not able to go online

The management console for the wireless router may be set up to only accept certain computer names. Have your dad add the name of your desktop PC to the router's list.

Fred Wagner

But I'm already seeing the name of his computer when I go to connect, isn't that enough. He won't know how to add my pc, can you give me instructions on how to add it? Thanks.

You can see his PC, but the router has an internal list of PC's authorized to access the router. I have a wireless router, and we set it up to allow access to the wireless laptops we own, and we temporarily allowed a lady across the street to have access - but the security software is set up so you can have a list for allowed user PCs. That prevents 'drive by' access by folks looking to browse your local systems. To use the wireless, you have to
1) have your PC on the list, and
2) have the System name and passphrase.
Talk to your dad - if he set it up, he has the software to manage it.

Fred Wagner

No he didn't set it up, if you just tell me where to look I should be able to adjust it, I'm an I.T. intern, I should know how to do this but haven't gotten to it yet.

You need to check the instructions for the Wireless hub. It will give you a browser address - likely 192.168.something....
There will be an admin password. Likely there will also be a PDF version of a manual, or perhaps an HTML help file.
Was the hub supplied by your ISP (Verizon, ComCast, TimeWarner, etc?) if so, their tech may have set it up when they installed it, and they may need to be called to add another PC name to the authorized list.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back