Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add a route in DHCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
I have a network with two gateways. There is a default gateway and for a remote office there is a separate gateway which serves this.
The remote office is on a separate subnet so usually I use the route add command to route the traffic through the other gateway.
The question is, how can I set this within DHCP so that all client machines can access automatically? I have set up the scope options to read the default gateway but how do I set up the route for the remote office to use the other gateway?
Thanks!

I don't think you have to mess with DHCP.
On your 'main' default gateway, add a static route that points to the other gateway for traffic destined to the remote office.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

That is correct. The default gateway should always be the source for routing to other subnets. Even if they are not directly connected to that device (usually a router or layer 3 switch), you can still put a route on that device that points at the actual point where it is physically connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back