Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I add a gradient to several shapes, collectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecanuck

Programmer
Jul 16, 2009
CA
Hi,

I have created an icon using several shapes constructed using the rounded rectangle tool and the ellipse tool. There is some overlap of the shapes, in order to make the overall group of shapes look like a hockey goalie.

What I'd like to do is apply a gradient to the whole group, rather than each individual shape. I've tried selecting the whole group and then filling with a gradient, but this doesn't seem to work.

Is it possible to do a gradient fill across multiple shapes at once?

Thanks,
Steve

Can you use the Unite function on the Pathfinder palette to combine the shapes into a compound object? Then you can apply a gradient to this object. If you still need the shapes to appear as though they are separate paths: first, make sure the shapes have no fill; copy all; apply the gradient; paste in front the strokes for the original paths.

Thanks very much. The Pathfinder did the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back