Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I access files at other end of VPN link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanterrill

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
GB
I have a VPN set up between our main site A (with domain servers) and remote office B with just four PCs. From the remote office, I can access files on the servers by making a shortcut to the server Ip address and share eg. \\172.16.0.5\shareddocs. However, if I want to see files on one of the remote pcs at B from a PC at A, I can't. I can ping the IP address Ok, but if I try and make a shortcut to a shared drive, I just get an egg timer cursor which waits forever. Is there some way of seeing the remote pc's files?

Since you can ping it, can you net view \\BIP from A? If it is system error 5, this is permission issue. If it is system error 53, this is connection issue. If it is other error, refer to this link,

System Errors
· System Error Codes · Windows Event ID ... System error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Thanks - I tried this and got error 53. However, this doesn't help -according to the list, I should check WINS -well I'm using XP so I don't think this matters, and I'm using the IP address in the net view command. The machines are turned on, and I get a reponse when I ping them. File and print share is enabled on all machines; client for MS networks is loaded on all machines. All machines are in the same domain. Any other suggestions? (and I have made sure remote desktop port is excepted on my windows firewall settings).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back