Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do copy software from one computer to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxd135

MIS
Jun 18, 2001
US
I want to copy a program from one computer to another. I can copy the whole folder within the program files, but what else do I have to do to install it.

Depends on the program (I'm assuming you do not have installation files, as best way is simply reinstall it on new machine). If you don't have install files I'd transfer program folder, and try running program on new machine. This may just work, but you'll likely get an error message about missing system file (usually .dlls). Note the file, & copy that from system folder (\winnt\system32 on Win2k) on old machine to same location on new. Repeat this until no more error messages (if more than one) of this type. It may still not run because of missing registry entries (you can try to find them on old machine and using export function in regedit and import funtion on new machine, asssuming running same operating system, but this could be tricky to say the least).

Note: There are utility programs out there which can do this for you - usually not freeware though.

PS. After copying .dll file, it may be necessary to register it as well (regsvr32 filename - using run command).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back