Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How DENY an adress(+name, i.e everything from microsoft..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophie24

Programmer
Jan 20, 2002
CH
I want deny acces from the firewall everything which has something to do with a 'speciefied name' is it possible to configure the firewall with a wordfile or little appended program?

i.e access from or to
- 'microsoft',
- '.bxo or .bzo',
- '999.999.999.99',
- 'bullsocks',
- 'xyz'

regards
sophie

Hi,

iptables works at IP address / port /interface etc level and doesn't deal in canonical names (e.g. as such. You can of course do stuff like :

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 207.46.0.0/16 -j DROP

/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -d 207.46.0.0/16 -j DROP

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -d ! 207.46.0.0 -j MASQUERADE

(eth1 being internet interface)

... which would drop most (all ?) of traffic to and from the evil empire.

If you want to control access to the internet on a site by site, etc., basis its actually easier to use the squid cache proxy server and to use the acl provided by that --> - thats got what you are looking for and more.

The only drawback to using squid vs IP masquerading is that it only proxies http protocols which can be a constraint, however you can use it in conjunction with masquerading by just having the masquerade rules active but not for ports 80, 443, etc.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back