Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Come Window XP Will Auto Shut Down By Itself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
SG
Hi ,

I have This Problem that my com (window XP) will auto shut down by itself .. How can i prevent tis from happening and what cause it to happen ?

Overheating maybe? More information would certainly be helpful. Is there anything of interest in Event Viewer? Does it just shutdown (not restart)? Running any particular applications when this happens? If you try to immediately restart, what happens?

plz first check your Power option in
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options

Have the same problem, brandnew Gateway Laptop. Shuts down within 2 minutes. When I turn it on again, it goes through the normal start up sequence, but lasts less than 30 seconds. If I wait an hour or more, same thing all over.

Could this be a software (XP) problem?

Gateway is not very helpful, didn't include one of the drivers CD's (the one needed to format), but offered to sell me one for $35!

Fed up with gateway!

How do I format this thing???? Only have 2 minutes to work...

If it is software related this should help you.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

If it's hardware related, have a look at your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back