Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Come I Can't Use Lucinda Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbtman

Programmer
Jul 13, 2007
I need to use Lucinda Console in a website but it does not seem to work? Why is this? Can I embed the font so that it works?

Direction appreciated!!

... Lucinda's Pa heard about you 'n her... You better stay away from the farm fer awhile... :)

... but if you wanted to use "Lucida Console", you probably just need to spell it correctly. Keep in mind, though, that the page may not look the same on your customers' browsers as it does on yours. For this reason, it's usually better to stick with fonts, or at least font families that are available on any browser.

As far as embedding fonts is concerned, I didn't think you could, but a quick Web search has enlightened me. Try "embed font" in the search engine of your choice :)

--
-- Ghodmode

Give a man a fish and he'll come back to buy more... Teach a man to fish and you're out of business.

And if you're using css to define the font, make sure you quote the font name, since it is comprised of two words.

I found some great info on embedding fonts after I posted this. There is also a great FAQ here, I will try it and see what happens!

If you are referring to the tutorial on Spoono, I would double check what you are trying to do. I don't believe it works in firefox, and it doesn't actually fail in a nice way either.

See faq215-4042 . It only works for IE, but won't fail too badly in other browsers - just make sure you specify a fallback font (or fonts) for folks that can't use your embedded one.
Code:
@font-face {
   font-family: "Lucida Console";
   font-style:  normal;
   font-weight: normal;
   src: url(/lucy.eot);
}

body {
   font-family: "Lucida Console", "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
}

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian