Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How come i cant select Write Cache Enabled for my drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlynch

Technical User
Jul 16, 2001
US
I have two 7200 RPM drives running of a Promise ATA100 controller. I tried to select "Write Cache Enabled" based upon several webpage configuration optimization tips for Win 2K Professional. When i go to Device manager to select the "Write Cache Enabled", the option is grayed out and non-selectable.

Is this option simply not obtainable when drives run of a ATA100 card. Do drives running off a ATA card not perform write caching. Is there something else i should be checking to optimize maximum performance for these drives. Not that i am having any problems but i demand alot from my system for video editing and want it at its best.

Also, what is a good way to check the drive transfer rate. Is there a good downloadable benchmark program that can measure this.

I have a dual PIII 850 system using a Supermicro PGU6DU server grade board with 540 MB RAM. I have the latest drivers for the Promise ATA100 card and the latest BIOS for my motherboard. I have installed Service Pack 2 and during the BIOS bootup, it indicates that both my drives are running in MODE 5.

I believe with ATA100 drives (actually the controller not the drives themselves) this option is not available. Or it is disabled with SP2. Not sure. I know on the systems here that it is available with ATA66 drives and not with ATA100 drives once Win2K ATA100 support is enabled. So I think Win2K takes care of it itself. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back