Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How change the default IP of the modem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermounter

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
BE
How can i turn of the dhcp and change the default IP of my modem ethernet ?(Dlink)

This is possibly the dumbest question seen.
Can you get into the admin interface on whatever dlink router you have? Can you follow the directions supplied with the router? Have you asked for support from the ISP or vendor who supplied the router?
Cmon! Use that thing between your ears.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

I disagree with your statement about this being the dumbest question seen. It is a valid question from a newbie asking for help. Not everyone here is knowledgable about all things networking. Even though this is a basic question, I believe supermounter has a right to ask it here.

That said, thedaver makes a good point. Did you check your router manual? Did you contact DLink Support or check their website? Also you will find that unless you can demonstrate that you did some legwork into finding your answer elsewhere and/or provide more details about your question you will not likely get a response. Most folks here appreciate at least some effort on your part to find answers the old-fashion way hence the term RTFM (If you don't know what RTFM means do a google search and find out).

No offence to anyone. These are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree.

I retract, there are no dumb questions. There are pitifully lazy questions that result from zero applied effort on the part of the asking party. These result in zero applied effort for an answer.

Dad always said "There are no stupid questions". Apologies.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

The modem receives its WAN IP address from the ISP by DHCP.

Unless you contact your ISP and request a static IP address, you will have to stick with DHCP. Most ISPs will charge extra for a static IP.

If you mean you would like to turn off the LAN's DHCP server, you can do. It's all in the manual: pick your modem model from DLINK's support page
<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back