Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How CanI Tie This Two Queries Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdave35

Technical User
Nov 20, 2008
US
Hey guys,

I've been trying to write this query that will report multiple counts and keep hitting brick walls. Basically, I can get the counts in individual queries, but I can't find a way to time them together.

My tables are called COURSE and REGISTRATION-INSTRUCTOR. They share a common field called course id. The course table looks like this:

COURSE ID COURSE NAME SUBJECT HOURS
0, ENG. LITERATURE, ENG, 4
1, GEOLOGY, SCI, 4
2, INTRO TO SQL, COMP, 4
44, WRITING, ENG, 5
559, PHYSICS, SCI, 5

Instructor TABLE

CLASS_SECTION_ID COURSE_ID INSTRUCTOR_ID
2330, 0, 3
2331, 0, 4
3133, 2, 5
3233, 2, 89

I need to report the following:

total number of courses - 5
total number of instructors per subject - 4

I tried inner joining the two tables on course_id, but that messes up by course count. Since there are multiple classes for the same course, the count is higher than 5 now.

I have these two queries

(select count(subject) as course_count from course)

SELECT count(b.instructor_id) as instructor_count, a.subject
FROM Course a,
[Registration-Instructor] b
WHERE a.course_id=b.course_id

group by a.subject

The problem is I can't join these tables on course_id unless I define it in the select statements. And if I define it in the select statements then I have to include it in the group by which breaks down count down to a new level giving me multiple counts per course_id. Any suggestions?

What do you want the final result to look like? I don't see how you'd put the total course count into a result set with the count of instructors for each course.

Tamar

Is this what you're looking for?

Code:
SELECT count(Distinct b.instructor_id) as instructor_count, 
       Count(Distinct a.course_id) As course_count,
       Count(Distinct a.subject) As subject_count
FROM Course a, 
[Registration-Instructor] b 
WHERE a.course_id=b.course_id

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back