Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how cani build this critical query

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypower

Programmer
Aug 10, 2004
IN
i am developing a bank application in vb 6 and sql server.
i have 2 tables. one is LoanPayment and Other is LoanReceived
when bank gives any loan to customer it is saved in LoanPayment Table with its name and deal no{deal no changes from customer to customer i.e suppose Mr. XYZ has taken 3 loans [Rs.5000 , Rs.10000, Rs. 25000]from bank then his deal no r 1 for 5000 and 2 for 10000, and 3 for 25000] and Mr. LML has taken only 2 loans[Rs.15000, Rs.35000] from bank then his deal no 1 for 15000 and 2 for 35000 i. e deal r changes from customer to customer}
when customer return his loan then it is saved in LoanReceived Table with respective deal no and return amount.{if Mr. XYZ return Rs.250 against his deal no 1 then it is stores as name-xyz, deal no-1 and principlepaid-Rs.250}
now i want to find those name who do have any single entry in LoanReceived Table i.e those deal of clients against which client do not paid any single amount.
i used not in but i cant write it properly.
so plz help in writting this query.

OK ...
I suppose you meant
"who do NOT have any single entry in LoanReceived"

LoanPayment
Name / Deal_No / Amount

LoanReceived
Name / Deal_No / Amount

select * from loanPayment lp where lp.deal_no not in (select lr.deal_no from loanReceived lr)

This will select you all records from the loanPayment table that do not have a corresponding record in the loanreceived table.

I assumed than Deal_No is unique in loanPayment.
I am not sure about this from your explanation. If this is not the case I strongly recomend you to add a unique key in the loanpayment table (and use this key for the not in list).
Another (bad) way would be to combine Name & deal_no (if this is unique) like this for example :
select * from loanPayment lp where lp.deal_no & lp.name not in (select lr.deal_no & lr.name from loanReceived lr)

Does dis work for you? (if I understood the question):

select * from LoanPayment LP where
not exists
(select * from LoanReceived LR
where LP.DealNomber = LR.DealNomber and
LP.Name = LR.Name)

Hope I've been helpful,
Bogdan Muresan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor