Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can you make a file truly hidden ? (like internet explorer cache)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Does any1 know how to make a file/folder totally hidden (even if you set explorer to show all files its still hidden)?
In "c:\windows\temporary internet files" these files exist, and in the bottom of the explorer window it does not say "x files hidden" (i found these files using dos)

I have windows 98 se

I don't believe you can. Windows does for certain special files, but you would need a utility of some sort to do it yourself.

Hello,
If you want to hide where you've been,you can add commands to your Autoexec.bat file that will remove your history and internet temp files everytime your Computer boots. This is true if your Computer still has Dos on it.

Not absolutely sure, but, here's how Microsoft cloaks the temporary internet files and history directories by creating a desktop.ini file with the following info:

As Mosaic said, only certain file typres may apply. Give it a try, post back.

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={1A9BA3A0-143A-11CF-8350-444553540000}
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}

reghakr

This did not work, the "CLSID=" line is supposed to stop explorer seeing the file and the "UICLSID=" file is supposed to stop explorer finding the file in a search. (it may be the other way arround). But this does not work for some reason.

Also eagleyed mentioned about getting rid of history using the autoexec.bat file.
I have added this to my autoexec.bat

"cdcd windows
cd temp
deltree /y *.*
cd..
cd tempor~1
deltree /y *.*
cd..
cd history
deltree /y *.*
cd\"

Does anyone know how to get rid of the autocomplete history for internet explorer from dos? Or to expand on that script so if the dir c:\windows\temp does not exist, it does not delete everything in the c drive! And finally to get rid of all the files that appear in the file menu on programs such as microsoft paint/word/publisher etc.

ciaran

I assume you have been to the "badbilly" site..I don't approve of the language but the content of the article is enlightening..The URL title is profane. The information is useful..I accept the fact that this post may be red-flagged. it is placed here in good faith and is germane to the theme and relevant to the original post.

The site was usefull, but it did not show how to make a file/folder hidden. Mabye this is not possible using a desktop.ini file.

...In "c:\windows\temporary internet files" these files exist, and in the bottom of the explorer window it does not say "x files hidden" (i found these files using dos)...

I assume bottom page-11 and top page-12 is mis-information then..

Am curious as to what definition satisfies "hidden". If its hidden from DOS then its not accessible. If its not accessible what good is it? Any decent disk editor can read whatever raw data is present. Perhaps encrypted??

Regards

I only want the files hidden from windows explorer (so they can only be accessed from dos/software such as windows commander).
I would find this usefull so other people who use my computer will not be able to access/modify folders containing confidential or critical information (c:\windows\system)
The people i am trying to hide important files from have no knowlege of dos but can easily change the folder options so all files are not hidden.
I know i could set up different user accounts on my pc but this takes up space (and i dont have much space left because i have 3 os's installed).

I am curious why the "desktop.ini" file is one of these hidden files, it has hidden/system/archive attributes. But setting other files to hidden/system/archive does not make them hidden from windows Maybe there is a registry key that can make hidden files.

Ciaran

I am barely conversational with the inner workings of DOS or the newer OS's such as Win9x series (Me) included. I am aware that the newer versions will be legacy free, (I read that as independent of DOS). I only posted the site to illustrate how Microsoft hides files and folders. I assume that you could create a similarily hidden folder...For me, I have only one other user and don't have to take any actions to hide files/folders. I will follow this thread with some interest because there may be some process which will be described and later, down the road may be the bit of info necessary to help myself or someone else out. In any event as soon as someone learns how to hide something they also know how to unhide it and that being true, someone else will eventually learn it also. Good Luck on your quest.

regards

Smitee

There are a couple of things you can try, depending on the purpose of hiding the file.
You can:
A) Download some 3rd party software like FolderGuard Jr. which hides files (even in DOS), its a demo and you have to pay to hide loads of files, but Im sure there is a crack for it somewhere...
B) You can rename your important files that you dont want to be edited to yourfile.maf in Windows explorer. (even changing the filename to 24855960.maf helps as people see the numbers and tend to leave the file alone, but you have to remember what is in the file or you will be confused if you have loads!!!)
The thing about .maf (Microsoft Access Form (shortcut)) is that as soon as you rename it, it drops the extention, and cannot be renamed to the original unless you go into DOS. Eg, if you have "Important.doc" and rename it to "imp986309.maf" you will get a file in Win Explorer called imp986309 with a shortcut icon to a .maf file. Users cannot open or rename this file, and they wont know what to rename it to either, as it could have any extention, and even if they do know they have to go to DOS and do a
ren *.maf *.doc or what ever......
Its not technically hiding the file, but it does give a good hide/protection against other meddling users. Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

The .maf renaming does not work for me (probably because i do not have ms access)
I was going to get folderguard until i read some of the user opinions.

""Yeah, it really sucks"
It makes a folder invisible, alright. Just try making it visible again! DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM"

Anyway i want the files inside to still be accessed/modified by programs (to create logs etc), so none of the methods would work.-it was a good idea though

Here's an alternative. Copy your files and/or Folder to CD if you have a burner. Don't keep sensitive material on the Hard Drive. You'll now have to establish a different path for these. I don't know how feasible it would be. It's an alternative.

This is a good idea (especially if you have direct cd/ oncd installed).
But if you need to constantly update the files this can be arkward (with a 4x write speed). But i suppose its better than nothing.
Another option would be making a partition your hard drive and hiding it. But then you have the problem of having to unhide it every time you start and hiding it evey time you finish. (its more a less the same as putting the data on a cd)

ok nobody stated this so far,.. but i see that you've given a link to the site.. great site by the way.

anyway, he practically gave you the answer you were looking for.. just don't think he knew it.. why not just put your damn files in the:

c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\ directory.. of course, make your own directory there like my_files.. but then they' won't be able to see it unless they type the exact thing.. ie: explorer /e,c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\my_files

anyway, in case anyone else went to that site.. there's a way to totally remove those files, and to make sure they don't come back.. it took me a little while, but i figured it out.. and also, it makes explorer a little slower.. but hey, the files aren't there!

deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5
deltree /y c:\windows\history\history.ie5
echo bill gates sucks >C:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat
echo bill gates sucks >C:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
attrib +S c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
attrib +R c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
attrib +H c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
do the same for the other index.dat
also, you can do the same process for the desktop.ini so that it may show the files every time you go there..

i'm not sure if its +S then +R +H or +S THEN +H +R one of those, but +S has to be first.. ohh yah, in order to do this, you have to be in dos mode.. not "restart to dos" you have to do the f8 deal.

ah yea, I suppose not havin Access would be a problem!
Dont know why the opinions are like that I found it quite useful and easy to use, you hide files, and then you have an option to hide the program, and the program files, so that no one can start it again unless you key a certain HotKey like Crtl+P+Esc or whatever you want, which starts the program into the system tray. Try it on a couple of dummy files... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Hi
Here is an idea..

You can create your directory in the following directory.

c:\Windows\SysBckUp

The sysBckUP directory is always not shown by windows in the explorer. A sub directory within that will not be shown as well. So you can even hide the directory you create, so no one knows.

With a batch file.. converted to Com file (There are utilities to do that), you can have that shifted to an open area when you want or shift it back into the hidden folder when you dont want.

The idea is limitless, as to what you can do.

Hope this helps :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Backup the registry and/or export the following key:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Right-click on the Explorer key, choose new>DWORD value, name it NoFolderOptions. Right-click on it, choose modify and type in the number 1.

reghakr

ozispimp..

"anyway, he practically gave you the answer you were looking for.. just don't think he knew it.. why not just put your darn files in the:.."

Your reference to my post irritated me.
Please don't condescend to me...the name is Smitee, not HE..
I will return the same courtesy to you.

OBVIOUSLY, that was the plan..There are many similar sites as I am sure you are aware of..

Regards

Smitee

"Your reference to my post irritated me.
Please don't condescend to me...the name is Smitee, not HE.."

smitee,

relax, i didn't mean anything by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back