Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can update a Memo field without lose data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glad2000

Technical User
Mar 19, 2004
US
Hi, everybody.
I need your help, please. I have an update query with a Memo field. When I run it, I see it truncates my Memo field until 510 characters.
How can I fix this?
Thanks a lot.

Can you explain in greater detail - it's difficult to visulise what you mean!

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

Frank, you gave me the right address to find the answer in the Form forum. But still I am interested to know about this. I tried to copy previous information in a Memo field of the first record to the following record through update query. The query worked well but the Memo field was truncated after 510 characters. Now I am using a code I found in the address you gave me. But I would like to know how to fix that only in case in the future. Why the update query does not work well with Memo field?

Could you display the code you are using??

One problem could be that the data you are uploading is replacing the existing data because the highlifht in the memo field is focusing on the memo contents.
You may need to say:
Me.txtMemo = Me.txtMemo & " " & NewData

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem with truncation when I use a UNION query on a memo field. Here's a simplified version of the query:

SELECT program, desc as X
FROM programs
UNION
SELECT oldProgram, desc as X
FROM oldPrograms;

program and oldProgram are text, desc is memo, and gets cut off at 510 chars in MS Access 2002.

The individual queries work just fine.

Is there any way to fix this? I see a reference to something in Access Forms, but I can't find it!

... vj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back