Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can non-AD users check in/out documents in MOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade1000

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2009
US
Hi all-

I am about to deploy a full blown MOSS 2007 installation, I have white papers and a good book that suggests best practice design concept for MOSS.

We have outside users that are really just subsidiary business people to our parent company BUT do not have an AD account in our AD structure.. I have read that one of the highlights to new MOSS is the ability to allow users to authenticate to specific document libraries...

I haven't been able to find any resources that suggest how to do this process though. These users all have Office 2007 clients and I believe that was a requirement .

Can anyone point me towards a url? or white paper resource that suggests how this is done?

thanks in advance for any direction in this process

blade

I don't yet have it installed, but am about to get into MOSS07. I do know that you need the internet connector to do that sort of thing. They also have started calling it something aside from the internet connector I believe.

I would presume that you would need to configure IIS with a non-active directory authentication method as well. Then again, I don't know where the user list would exist to authenticate against. Our setup will be using a .Net application that's already got non-AD users, and I won't be doing that integration.

Can this be done on a sharepoint server using Windows internal database versu SQL? I don't have a SQL database installed. Just curious.

Thx

You have to have SQL Server installed in order to run SharePoint.

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

During the installation I chose "Basic" which installs the "Windows Internal" database. I followed steps from a document called "Getting Started With Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0" and followed the install instructions from page 29 that noted this:

"Install and configure Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Windows Internal Database
When you install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a single server, run the Setup program using the Basic option. This option uses the Setup program's default parameters to install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and Windows Internal Database. Windows Internal Database uses SQL Server technology as a relational data store for Windows roles and features only, such as Windows SharePoint Services, Active Directory Rights Management Services, UDDI Services, Windows Server Update Services, and Windows System Resources Manager.."

Was this a bad idea?

WSS is not MOSS. They're both Sharepoint. WSS isn't supposed to be exposed to the internet as I understood it.

It should only be users that have a CAL for your Windows server running WSS that should be able to use it. It is a violation of your license to allow others to use your WSS installation.

At least that's how I understood it.

I suppose that doesn't mean you can't have it exposed to the internet... You just can't allow the public in general to use it.

Sorry for the post. I was just trying to understand where you are getting this info from. No documentation I have read talks about cals. Of course I have to make sure our windows server is properly licensed if this is what you are refering to?

Here's a good article...

He does say you need Windows CALs.

According to the MS-MVP you even have to buy an external connector to, I presume, connect externally. Sorry for that little touch of sarcasm. I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.

Microsoft though, seriously needs to change their licensing model. You practically have to get a degree to figure the stuff out.

I think you are talking about moss. Wss does not require Cal licensing. That is the beauty of it. You are right though for non ad users we would need to ourchar an extranet license I believe

Regards

Well, the MVPs said tat if you're going to power an external website you need CALs for the users. Feel free to read the article before you comment on it.

Yup...Looks like I'm licensed properly. Already read the document. I'm not sure how this turned into a Licensing thing? All I was asking was about the "Multiple Authentication Partners" and if this could be done in WSS...You've turned this into a whole licensing argument.

It turned into a licensing thing because the discussion turned to general public access of a Sharepoint site. Despite his calling it MOSS, things that sounded more like WSS were being discussed. That's when I said...

"WSS is not MOSS. They're both Sharepoint. WSS isn't supposed to be exposed to the internet as I understood it."

I was definitely wrong, WSS can be used on sites accessible to the general public. However, it does need to be properly licensed, with an internet connector, in order to be open for use by the general public.

It turned into an argument by you making incredibly unhelpful comments such as 'Where in your world are you getting this info?' as well as refuting what I was saying without even proposing what was correct.

You should not have even posted your original question...

"Can this be done on a sharepoint server using Windows internal database versu SQL? I don't have a SQL database installed. Just curious."

...to this thread, as yours was a fresh question, and added nothing to the subject.

FYI, MOSS won't install using Windows Internal Database, it will only use SQL Express. WSS will install to the Windows Internal Database. They're different things. The way you talk though it sounds like you think you've got MOSS, but you've really got WSS.

At least I went and got quotes from Microsoft MVPs to try to clarify the picture. Also, re-read the thread, and realize that until my last post, my sarcasm was only pointed at myself and articles I was referencing. I apologize that things digressed to this, but I will be ignoring any further antagonistic comments.

to bring in outside clients, you will have to set up user accounts within AD, that or try to allow the clients access to the SharePoint Silo via local accounts built into the that Web Front End Server which hosts the application(s)

Any MS application must resolve a name with its local directory or DC.

As to WSS you can run an external silo. What you do not have is the MOSS applications or its robust capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back