Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can multiple characters be considered equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhodesiascout

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
GR

I have made a search engine on my site and it searches a MYSQL database.Usually searches are case-insensitive, that is when you search for "cars", it can return the results "Cars" or "CARS" or "caRs" etc. This is fine.

I however have two different languages in my database, one being english and the other greek. In the greek language we use "accents" which is a little ' symbol above a letter to stress the pronounciation. Only the vowels have these accents and only sometimes(I mean not every vowel in the word will have a accent, just one in every word.)
Now when i search for a greek word lets say "cars" , it will not find it in the database if its spelt with an accent eg "c'ars"

How do i modify MYSQL so that it considers the letter " a " and the letter " 'a " to be equivalent in the searches as is the letter"a" and "A" ?
I do have the greek character set installed so i can see and write greek words into my db without a problem.It's just the searches is where i have a problem, (and here my problem only occurs if a word in the db has a accent in it.)

To explain a bit in english its like the english word "bite". The letter " i " has a dot over it. We dont type the dot over the "i" , it just happens automatically by the keyboard. Imagine though that you could type the dot over the "i" or leave it without a dot.
Now if in the db the word "bite" was with a dot and you searched for the word " bite" (without the dot) , it wouln't find it because it considers the "i" as a different character.You see?

I'd like to know how to make them equivalent for the searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back