Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i view what application is using a log.txt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklove

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
US
We use are windows 2000 server for backup. Resently i nodest that theres this log called SQL.log taking 4gb of hard space. I can't open this log to see what it contains. It gives me a message telling me that it cant be opened because another application is using it. I would like to know how i can find out what other application is using it.
Please right back as soon as posible.Thanks!!!

You can try going to the command line on the box and typing

NET FILE

If the file is being locked, it will tell you the authenticated username that is locking it.

-- Tim Scarfe <tim@developer-x.com>

TimScarfe when i did go to cmd box and typed NET FILE.It said there were no entries in that list. So if u have any other suggestions please post back asap. Thanks!

You should be able to copy the 4 Gig file to another place while it's in use.. then open it there.

Paul

Bluewhale sounds good. How do i go about doing it? How can i copy this log to another server? I'll probably send it to a SQL box. Please Post back as soon as posible! Thanx..
Roxy!!!

Can you identify the file? If so, just access it as a domain administer from another PC and right click/drag it over to a drive on the other machine with space. Click on 'copy' when the menu comes up.
it will take time, and put a strain on both systems.. do you have room on the original system to copy it to another folder? Would be Much quicker that way.

Paul

Well its a Sql log.txt. And honestly i don't know how to do that. What do u mean access it as a Domain admin. Please explain me how to do it step by step. I would really apreaciate it. I dont know where to go when u say to access it as a domain admin. Thanx and post back please!

Roxy!!!

Ok. Forgive me tho: I try to avoid SQL whenever I can<g>
One thing: SQL is very picky about moving files. I believe it time stamps files to ensure a lack of corruption. You should be able to copy the file out and look at it, but I would avoid doing anything else.
To copy a file open a window showing the file and showing the place you wish to copy it. Right click on the file keeping the RIGHT mouse button depressed... drag the mouse pointer to the target folder and release the mouse button. A menu will come up. Pick ' copy ' and it will copy it over.

That said, I just looked at your original post. Who is the administrator for this PC? They should know which program is using the file. The info to copy that I've given was to allow you to possibly view the contents of the file. If someone else is responsible for this machine, I suggest you talk it over with them.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back