Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I throttle back AVG 7.5 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddpete

MIS
Oct 9, 2003
US
I've recently installed it hoping for a better alternative to Symantec. It is becoming a major PIA. This morning, it slowed Photoshop to a crawl while it did an 'update' scan. I could not see any way to access the task to stop it. This evening, it launched its daily scan ('test') which slowed a disk defrag to a crawl until I spotted and killed it.

I've tried to switch it to a weekly scan, but it refuses to accept any change to the daily task. I really need the computer to do useful work rather than spend most of its resources doing repeated scans. Does anyone know how to throttle this thing back? If not, is there a better product?

I've also tried the ZA Security Suite. It did not work well either.

If you go into the Control Centre for AVG, then click on the Scheduler Icon/Text. You should then see two options at the bottom:

Scheduled Tasks and Properties.

Note: If you do not see this icon, click on View>Components>Scheduler and tell it to display component.

Go into scheduled tasks.

There should be two tasks there:
"Test plan in basic mode"
"Update plan in basic mode"

Your not allowed to delete those tasks, but you can disable them from connecting to the internet.

Click on the update task, then click on Edit Schedule.

Uncheck the "periodically check for internet updates"

Similar thing applies to the antivirus scheduled test if you want to stop it from running.
Source - weaselthatbites (Forum: Dozleng.com)

If this does not help, then I sugges you uninstall the APP, clean the Registry, then Reinstall it...

or use another AV Solution such as Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
(which I use personally and am quite content with it)

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

AVG is one of the fastest, leanest AV's out there, IMO.

kiddpete said:
This evening, it launched its daily scan ('test') which slowed a disk defrag to a crawl until I spotted and killed it.

Well, that's kind of "to be expected" when running a virus scan and a defrag!!

Disable the "Test plan in basic mode" (as BadBigBen suggested), and create your own test schedule according to your own preferences. However, I would not recommend disabling the "Update plan in basic mode"

kiddpete said:
I could not see any way to access the task to stop it.
While a scan is in progress, you should see an extra icon in your system tray (lower-right), which looks like the regular AVG icon with a white triangle in the middle. Clicking this icon gives you a chance to cancel the current scan.

kiddpete said:
I've tried to switch it to a weekly scan, but it refuses to accept any change to the daily task.

If you are disabling the task as suggested, clicking OK, and your changes are not saved, maybe its a permissions problem... try as administrator, or do an uninstall/reinstall

From guitarzan;

'Well, that's kind of "to be expected" when running a virus scan and a defrag!!'

Well, yah. That's why I'm trying to throttle back this thing. In case you missed it, that was the SECOND scan it ran that day.

I've just installed AVG Free (7.5) on a new laptop and noticed a processor priority setting when first setting up..

I can't seem to access it on the free version, but you should find references to it in the help files using a Find word of "Priority". It's detailed under a topic of "First Run Wizard - Daily Scanning". Note that AVG recommend that priority be left at the default.

TazUk

Programmer An organism that turns coffee into software. [morning]
Unknown Author

Is this AVG anti spyware formally known as Ewido or AVG anti virus?

You can post this about AVG 7.5/ Ewido anti spyware at the url below and post your problems. You can disable AVG antispyware from services in XP!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back