Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I tell if my cisco router is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlanman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 25, 2002
US
So I am new to this cisco stuff, and i am trying to get my CCNA, so i buy a 2501 on Ebay, set up my hyper-terminal, (9600,8, none, 2, hardware), got my x-over cable plugged in properly to serial port 1, everything checks out, but when it gets to this screen I press enter nothing happens.

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-IN-L), Version 11.1(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 27-Jan-97 14:39 by dschwart
Image text-base: 0x0302378C, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 4096K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 01996563, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
2 Serial network interfaces.
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Press RETURN to get started!Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-IN-L), Version 11.1(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 27-Jan-97 14:39 by dschwart
Image text-base: 0x0302378C, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 4096K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 01996563, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
2 Serial network interfaces.
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Press RETURN to get started!

Am i a complete idiot? Am i forgetting something so simple? or Did i just get a bum router off of ebay? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my dillemma.

mike

Bad IOS load is a thought.. also, you have only 4 megs.. you really need to think about bringing it up to 16 meg of flash and 16 meg of DRAM in order to work with the better IOS loads and some of the IOS loads with extra features.

If you have the IOS for this, try reloading it.

Find some nice notes here:

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

>(9600,8, none, 2, hardware)
Try with 9600,8,none,1,hardware.
>got my x-over cable plugged in properly to serial port 1,
Use rollover cable, NOT x-over cable. They are different.
If you want to know pin-out of rollover cable, search "rollover cable" in cisco website.

>everything checks out, but when it gets to this screen I press enter nothing happens.
It looks like only one way communication is working now and you could not send key strokes to router.

Use a roll over cable and plug it into the console port.
The roll over cable is flat usually unless you make one.

Thanks for the help so far guys, but no luck yet! I acutally am using a crossover cable, but for kicks i tried to use a straight through, and i was not able to get any thing to pop up on the hyperterminal. If it is a bad load and the break sequence keys dont work, how can i load a new image? I have access to my CCO account throught work, is there any diagnostic that i can run from there? Is this more hasle than its worth? Should i just dump it and buy another one? Thanks again guys for your patience with the FNG. :)

You need a Roll-Over Cable!!!! Not A X-over or a St8thru cable, you need a ROLL-OVER!!!
Pin 1 <> Pin 8
Pin 2 <> Pin 7
Pin 3 <> Pin 6
Pin 4 <> Pin 5
Pin 5 <> Pin 4
Pin 6 <> Pin 3
Pin 7 <> Pin 2
Pin 8 <> Pin 1

Then make sure your Hyper term is set up to
9600, 8, none, 1, H

If it doesn't work then I'll buy it from you for $50.

Stephen
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your kness!

Dude your router is not bad!!!
When you do a show version at the bottom it should read Configuration - Register 0x2102.
You need to break into RMON mode and set the configuration register to 0x2142 (<--from memory but you can look up on cisco site) it looks like you have a bad config file or the ios is corrupted. If you give up and think the router is still bad I may be interested in purchasing it from you.

scott@reisinger-networks.com

Let me know!

Man you guys are harsh :D he's a newbie at least he has the guts to ask a question when he doesn't know. Granted it may not be a high level question but he's a newbie come on cut some slack dammmmmn.

Uhhm first do what a bunch of folks suggested, make a roll-over cable use that and test your router. With all luck you didn't screw the console port up by trying to use a straight-through or crossover cable. Nine out of ten doctors suggest roll-over cables with Cisco toys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back