Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I tell if I have USB 2.0? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ilver5aracen

Programmer
Oct 24, 2004
GB
Hi, does anyone know how I can tell if my PC's have USB 2.0? One has win98se and the other has XP home. Many thanks in advance.

Not likely on the Win98SE PC unless you added a USB 2.0 card yourself.

For the XP PC, go here:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

In device mgr you will see a listing similar to this:"usb
enhanced controller". That is usb2.0, without the word enhanced its usb1.0 or 1.1.

Im pretty sure there is a program out that will tell you the speed your usb ports are running at. You might try google or check out usbman.com as cdogg suggested.

And, as cdogg already mentioned, unless you have installed a usb2.0 pci card to your win98se setup, you wont likely have usb2.0.
You can also check your motherboard manuals as well for usb information. If you dont have a manual check what mobo you have and go to the mfgrs website to get one.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Start - Run Type "msinfo32". USB is listed under components and should say if it is USB1.0 or 2.0(enhanced).

Lenana

Lenana,
Nice little shortcut, but when I do that, it shows the same thing as what I see in Device Manager. Also, it does not state 1.1 or 2.0 anywhere. You have to use the method explained earlier to determine whether it's 1.1 or 2.0.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back