Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW CAN I STOP SPAMMING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreac

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
IT
I have installed Exchange Server 2000, I have continous attack and thousand spam, that I don't say as stopping.
I had blocked TCP port 25 but in this case all users didn't use SMTP service.
I have contacted Microsoft support, after to have see, they told me that Exchange configuration is correct, so not exist trouble Microsoft.
Can you help me?

Are you talking about SPAM or relaying?
That is not the same.
Spam is what you receive in your email account.
Relaying is when your server is being used to spam, to others.
If spam is the problem, install an anti-spam app, see this forum for several posts on that.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Is relaying the problem. My server is being used to spam to others.

Can you help me in this case?

See faq858-1592

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

I did this solution (858-1592), but I don't resolved my trouble.
My Exchange server continuos to be a relay for spamming, I hoped two thinks:
- Is there a bug in Exchange Server?
or
- Is there in my LAN a other server o pc with SMTP service and port 25 active that use Exchange Server for send spam-mail? This is possible?

Which is your opinion?

Authorisation for a relay will need to be stopped in DOMAIN (Exchange)>Administrative Groups>Exchange Site>Servers>Server Name>Protocols>SMTP>[Right Click] Default SMTP Virtual Server>Properties>Access>Relay>Only the list below>add just the IP Address range of your domain

Test relaying before and after changing this by going to

andreac,

if still in doubt, track where the spam is initiating from. If it is from the LAN (Virus, worm, user, ...) then of course it will go on.
Clear the queues and if you followed the faq, it should stop.

Marc
[/sub]

One thing you should try is look in your proxy(ISA) settings and see if the public network is listed in your LAT. If so, ISA will translate the addresses and make them appear local, and even with relaying turned off exchange will think its doing its job in sending the email. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back