Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i stop radio signal from bleeding into my paging? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

redvol1

Vendor
Sep 24, 2008
US
I'm picking up a radio station on the cabling for my paging horns. Any way to stop this?

Use shielded wire? Isolate the source, the speaker run or the input to the amplifier.

We used Cat-5 for some Bogen self-amplified horns, 1 pair for power, 1 pair for audio. Picked up a local foreign-language radio station. Had to re-run shielded cable for the audio.

Shielded wire is always the best choice for sound but be sure to ground the shield properly at the amplifier end. That's the only way the shield can do much good because it has to drain the induced current somehow. Otherwise, it can actually add to you problem by acting as an antenna to pick up more RF. If you can't replace the cabling, be sure that any spare pairs are shorted and grounded at the amplifier end for the same reason.

I've used devices from Sandman ( ) with success in the past. That page also has a link to a good primer on eliminating RF.

Harry Braithwaite
Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Lodging industry

Harry, that's been one of the best telephony equipment sites on the internet for over 10 years. he carries all those hard to find do-dads. a purple star for posting that.

Read the stuff on the Sandman site.

Determine if the station is AM or FM (they will give a station ID near the top of the hour.

Determine if the problem is on the input side or the output side (disconnect the input from the paging amp and see if you still here it).

If it is on the input side try to use balanced I/O if possible (e.g. +/-/ground pro versus unbalanced +/ground consumer). You may be able to reduce the problem by increasing the level at the source and turning down the input level at the amp by the same amount.

You may need to use a small capacitor </= 1 mF across the source to bypass the RF to ground.

keep us posted

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back