Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I stop Disabling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertAguirre

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
US
I have had visitors on my PC disable my Norton AV 2003.
Is it possible to lock it so it cannot be disabled?

Unfortunately i can't answer your question, but am asking you one in return: how did your guest disable the program completely? Perhaps you don't have 2003 pro, but if you do, please let me know. The program is taking up too much ram for me to perform simple tasks.

ty,
Asilryc

Norton is a resource hog it loves Ram and also loves to crash i recommend not using it on home pc if you dont have at least 256mb ram

It was disable by rightclicking on the icon and choosing disable. Nothing special.
I just dont want them disabling it.

Mine appears in the system tray (area just left of the clock). It can be "always hidden" with a right click in an open area just to the left of the chevron, then properties, customize, select NAV then hide. There may have been an option to display it in the taskbar in setup.

On the bottom right of the screen, left of the clock are some icons, then &quot;<<&quot; without quotes. << is a the chevron.

If you use the corporate edition product, you can lock the realtime enablement and uninstall to require a password to unlock/disable or unininstall, among other things using their system center console on the server Nav settings. If you are using only the home consumer line 2003, I'm not sure there is a way other than registry hacks, which I wouldn't recommend without proof of no adverse affects on out-of-production environment. You could always use bios boot password and system logon password with screen saver lockout. Thought I saw you had W2k. This would keep them out of the system while you are away from it.

Jagsta
[yinyang]

AlbertAguirre,
Sorry. I thought we were in the XP forum.
Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back