Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I show the user that CE is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwschiek

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2003
US
Hi:

I am currently testing CE (I jumped on the free 5 user CE Pro offer. Very impressed!) and want to know if there is a way to display an hour glass or status bar in the browser to show that the report is being generated. I have several test reports that take about 30 seconds to generate, but during that time the user is looking at blank Internet Explorer page. My fear is that users will not be patient and assume that the process has hung, close their browser and complain to the help desk!

I am using the DHTML viewer in IE 6.

Thanks.

Bruce.

Change the viewer to Active-X or Java, it has the best look and feel.

Do you know of any web pages that pop an hourglass or status bar when you click on them? It's not really inherent to web technology (though browsers can display some measures).

-k

I am using ce 9 & the websamples, slightly modified. If you are doing the same, you can change the 'windowprops'
variable setting of status; add status=yes. (look in guest.csp, though this may be needed in other files as well)

Thanks for the help. I changed to the Active X viewer and this provides the hourglass/pointer cursor as well as the animated Crystal logo to show the end users that the report is being generated. Just what I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back