Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I *Safely* Update Riched32.dll for VB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrytraver

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
How can I safely update my system so that Visual Basic (and the Package & Deployment Wizard) will use a newer Riched32.dll?

The Riched32.dll in the "C:\Windows\System" directory is version 5.0.1934.1, dated 6/23/99, while the Riched32.dll in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist" directory is version 4.0.993.4, dated 5/7/1998. (I'm using VB 6, professional edition, on a computer running Windows ME.)

Now, i understand that any file that's in the "C:\Program Filese\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist" directory will be used in favor of one found on the system. In my case, this means that the Riched32.dll that VB is using is older than the riched32.dll in "C:\Windows\System."

So the question, again, is how can I safely update things so that VB (and the P&D Lizard, er, Wizard) will use a newer Riched32.dll?

IMPORTANT: I assume that it's not simply a matter of copying the Riched32.dll in "C:\Windows\System" over the Riched32.dll already in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist," because the Riched32.dll in "C:\Windows\System" (version 5.0.1934.1, dated 6/23/99) is only 4 KB in size, while the Riched32.dll already in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist" (version 4.0.993.4, dated 5/7/1998) is 171 KB in size.

I'm fairly sure that I can't simply replace a 171KB Riched32.dll with a 4KB Riched32.dll and expect things to work properly!

Any advice, anyone? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

Barry Traver

Go to MSDN.MICROSOFT.COM and search. There is an article on this problem.

John,

There probably is an article in the KnowledgeBase on this question, but if there is, I haven't had success in finding it. <sigh> (If anyone else has had any more success, please let me know. Thanks!)

Barry

I entered RICHED32.DLL into the search box and the #1 answer is what you are looking for: Q197580 - INFO: Distribution Issues with Riched32.dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back