Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I restrict who a person can send to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockc

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
I have looked everywhere and I can not find how I can restrict who a specific user can send mail to. I can restrict who can send to a specific user, but I can't find out how to restrict a specific user from sending to others.

For example, I have a user that only needs to communicate with people in his building. I only want him to be able to send to those people. I want to limit his ability to send to anyone else.

I know there has to be an easy way to do this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you mean internal only, see thread10-549234

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

marcs41, thanks for the link, but it really didn't pertain to what we are trying to do. We need to restrict this user from sending internal emails to anyone outside of the building he works in. We only have one site, so all the users in our company, in all buildings, are part of the same site. Now we do have DLs for each building, but if I restrict his ability to send to those DLs, can't he still send to them by sending to them as individual recipients? We also don't have a need to restrict his Internet mail...he is free to email outside of the company.

Under individual user properties, and delivery restrictions:

You can limit who they receive email from. You could put all of the people in the building in a Distribution List, then for the users in that building, limit them to only receive from that List.

I hope this is close enough to what your after.

Grenage,

Thanks, but that isn't what we are looking for. I only have one user that I want to limit who he can send to. I only want this one user to be limited to people in his building...all other users are fine to send to anyone.

It is frustrating that Exchange has all of these features and you can restrict delivery but not sending ability.

We are going to be installing some Email Filter software in the near future and thankfully, that product allows for more control over the sending and receiving. I would have thought Microsoft would have something built in to do that. But that would make too much sense I guess.

Honestly, it does not make much sense in restricting a user to senf mail INSIDE his own company!
I don't really understand what possible reason there can be for that.
No internet mail send/receive, I can understand, but internal?
Can you give us some clue as why this is such an issue for you?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back