Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I restrict row number of a union query result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackpei

Programmer
Jun 6, 2000
DE
Gurus,<br><br>I have following SQL statement:<br><br>SELECT A, B, C<br>FROM T, S<br>WHERE ...<br>UNION<br>SELECT A, B, C<br>FROM T, P<br>WHERE ...<br><br>and I just need the first 50 rows as result.<br><br>How can I do this?<br><br>TIA<br>Mack

SELECT * FROM<br>(SELECT A, B, C<br>FROM T, S<br>WHERE ...<br>UNION<br>SELECT A, B, C<br>FROM T, P<br>WHERE ...)<br>WHERE rownum&lt;=50; but you don't know which 50 rows will be retrieved. You can refine your query an other way.<br> <p>Eduard Stoleru<br><a href=mailto:e_stoleru@yahoo.com>e_stoleru@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The SQL Server version is easier...<br><br>SELECT TOP 50 A, B, C ....

My answer was based on Oracle. I don't deny that, in MS SQL, TOP command works (perhaps) faster. But, you see, the three little dots you've used replace the long subquery needed for combining the two select's. So, how do you define <b>easy</b>? <p>Eduard Stoleru<br><a href=mailto:e_stoleru@yahoo.com>e_stoleru@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks for your replies.<br><br>I think stoleru's solution works fine for me. It doesn't matter which 50 rows from the<br>two SELECT queries will be retrieved. I can add an ORDER BY:<br><br>SELECT A, B, C FROM<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(SELECT A, B, C<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM T, S<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE ...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;UNION<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SELECT A, B, C<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM T, P<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE ...)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE rownum&lt;=50 ORDER BY A<br><br>Note that the statement used in my case is more complicated than the one given<br>here, I have to write all attributes (A, B, C) instead of a single *, otherwise I get<br>an error:<br><br>Error: ORA-00918: column ambiguously defined<br><br>Mack

Point noted Eduard.<br><br>I meant more natural as a statement, maybe I'm showing a little bias &lt;g&gt;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back