Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I replace the username+password pop-up box with a web form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneil1

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
JM
I have some web resources (files and stuff) in a directory on my website and its contents are accessible on a webpage through hyperlinks. Persons have to log in to the site using a username and password form I developed, but although only persons who have logged on can view the webpage with the links, anyone who knows the exact location of a particular file can still access it b entering its url in a web browser.

eg. 'mysecrets.doc' can be accessed by typing ' in the web browser.

I know that a directory can be password protected, but I want to not have to subject a user to have to enter a username and password again in the pop-up box that requests this info. Is there a way to allow access to the password protected directory when the user enter the username and password through the web form on the home page?

Well, yes. If you have php, there are many scripts that will do what you need. Search for something like [google]php script login password protect directory[/google]. I have to ask though, what is your login form doing if not protecting the contents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back