Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW CAN I RENAME AN ACCESS DATABASE FORM WITH VB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcMellor

Programmer
Jan 12, 2002
US
I have a template Access database form where both the rows and colunmns have headings and there are about 360 cells which will be filled by each user over time. Each user needs their own form, and I am only expecting small numbers of users (3 or 4 at most). I need to be able to 'open' the template when a new user registers and then to 'save' the form under the user's IDNumber, at the same time retaining the original template for subsequent users. I have managed a similar problem opening a file in Word etc, but I have no idea how to even approach this problem because I don't really understand how databases work (and I'm sure it can't be done in the same way!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I am an absolute amateur in VB, so keep it simple!!

I've never run across a way to programmatically alter Access objects like Forms and Reports from VB. I've come to the conclusion that this is the case because, to provide a means for doing that would be redundant. If you're writing a VB program, you're expected to create your forms and reports from within VB.
From what I can gather from your question, you seem to be taking the wrong approach to the problem. If you're writing an interface for your users in VB, you should create only one form and populate it with each user's data when they run the program. The users' data should be stored in the database. You can't really "save" a form the way you're trying to do.

My problem is that I am using my first column as headings for the rows, ie like a spreadsheet. To introduce a UserID I really need a 3 dimentional version with each layer for a different user. I suppose I can add another 360 rows along with their UserId each time a new user registers but it seems to lack elegance! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back