Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I remove previous owners info??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2002
GB
As part of a System sale deal, I took the buyers old system in part exchange. I have repartitioned and formated the HD installed windows 98 ready for re-sale, but the problem is when the computer first boots up, on the initial screen, under the BIOS info along with the Mitsubishi logo, the previous owners name address and phone number is displayed.
If anyone knows where this info is stored, and how it can be replaced, please help.

I don't know for sure, but try reseting the cmos. If that dosn't work then maybe flash the bios to a newer version. I would think it has to be in the bios cause nothing else has loaded at that time. Is there anything in the bios that would allow that info to be changed?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi there, I guess the previous owner messed a bit around with the BIOS, do as rockerfeller said, reflash the BIOS to either a newer one or to the one that is installed at the moment...

Ben

PS - he probably used AMIBCP or MODBIN two progs allowing the changing of DATA in the BIOS...

Thanks for your suggestions, but i already tried those.

Anyway, I have now sorted it. I downloaded a utility called "Apricot Electronic Fingerprinting" and ran it in windows allowing me to remove all the previous owners info.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back