Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I reinstall or reconfigure DCOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadixon

Programmer
May 22, 2008
US
I had to uninstall then reinstall my NIC to resolve connection to a remote desktop. After the reinstall, I am now getting DCOM errors when I try to connect to my sql server.

"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer APPL2900 using any of the configured protocols."

How do I correct this? I can't find anything on the web that has worked (I have not tried to repair XP yet).

Turns out I did not have issues with DCOM - the DNS name for the SQL Server computer could not be resolved. After realizing the name was the problem, I went into the hosts file (in the windows\system32\drivers\etc directory) and added the ip address and name of the system I was trying to connect to with SQL Server. Now that it is in the hosts file, the system is fast again and no more DCOM errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back