Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I reindex an mdx file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxwink

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
I need to change a column width in a dbf file which is running in a runtime dbase program and I don't have dbase. I do however have MS access from which I imported the dbf file into, made the change and saved back in dbase format (dbf) but when I attempt to run the program it tells me I have an error and won't run because of an mdx file indexing error. Help Please. Thanks.

Hi

I don't know how you can rebuild an mdx file without dbase, but you could send the .dbf file and corresponding dbt / ndx/mdx files to someone who has.

However, this could impact on the program that uses the file, but it's worth a go.

I am willing to help, just need to know version etc

I have dbase IV 2.0 and Visual dBase 5.7.

My email is andyorm@madhousenet.co.uk

There's a freeware utility called BR4, with which you can reindex dbase files. BR4 also has the ability to create new dBase files, and alter the structure of existing files.

With BR4, you could change the size of the field you mentioned. But be aware that if your application is designed to do any kind of maintenance to the dBase file, it may rebuild the file and set the field back to it's original size, based on a data dictionary stored in the app.

Do a web search on "BR4" - you should be able to find scattered through the web -- or go here- ftp://ftp.goldmine.com/Public/Utility/ and look for BR.ZIP

One caveat on BR4 -- it's a DOS utility, and will choke on very large files (not sure of the exact limit - somewhere in the 200MB or 200k record range). Make a backup of your files before attempting to change anything (duh!). If your file is larger than that, there's another utility called BR7 that's Windows based and doesn't have the same limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back