Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I regain access to the BIOS Setup 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamphen

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
IT
When I startup my computer I get the message:

* press Delete to enter BIOS Setup

But pressing Delete doesn't do anything.

This started after overwriting the MBR of my
harddrive with LiLo.

Now I'm using another hard drive as a master drive
and the drive with the MBR overwritten is now a slave drive.
But the problem still remains.

The BIOS is an AMI-Bios, version 03.30.

If you need more info, I'd be happy to give it.

Thanks a lot,
Swamphen

One possibility is to remove the battery so CMOS is set back to standard. I make the assumption that you have a BIOS that can be locked from user access.
The 2 problems aren't related.
And if you do remove the battery all the existing settings will go away and you will need to reset them to match your hardware. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Some motherboards have jumpers which can clear out the BIOS settings. If you break the clip that holds the battery your motherboard is ust about unusable. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

there are certain bios upgrades provided by ami bios which can be used to regain your access to your bios. what is the model of your computer and I would also need more details to provide a good solution. also you would have to know which mother-board you are using and whether your bios is rom based or hard drive based. so if u could give me the info i asked for. i'll try to give you a solution

I'm really greatful for all your help, but I already found the solution.

It is actually a quite embarrasing solution:

- When the bootmessage "Pres Delete to enter BIOS Setup" comes it is actually already too late to press the Delete key. If I press the Delete key from the start of the reboot and keep it pressed, then I do enter the setup.

Sorry guys. After installing Debian over Win2000 I couldn't boot to Win2000 any more and this fact has lead me to believe that all other strange things happening were related to this installment as well.

Hopefully the stars ease the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back