Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I reformat my computer that has windows 2000 professional 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilynhandley

Technical User
Dec 29, 2003
CA
I have installed windows 2000 professional on a home computer and now certain drivers no longer work. I wish to remove 2000 and go to Windows me, but I am having trouble reformatting the computer. I get the following message;

format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. would you lke to force dismount on this volume y/n
( I have said yes and it get another error message) Cannot lock the dirve the volume is still in use.

Any thoughts?

Hello

You will need to boot the PC from a Win9x boot floppy - or you ME boot CD should let you wipe the hard drive and reformat it.
I have to ask however, Windows ME is almost universally hated, even by MS fans as the worst OS that M$ has ever produced.
I would recommend wiping and reinstalling 2K Pro, which is a lot better, or if your machine is older and 2K is a little on the slow side for it, go for 98SE.

John

Boot from an ME boot floppy ( if you haven't one). If 2k is on fat32, just run format c: /q from the A: prompt. If 2k is on NTFS, run fdisk & use its delete partition feature to remove the non-dos (how it appears to fdisk) partition & then create a new fat32 partition for ME to install into.

PS. What exactly has happened to your 2k - 2k is so much better an operating system than ME, I'm concerned you're taking a backward step, when it might be something simple to fix (eg, did you do a 'clean' 2k install or an upgrade originally - clean is best).

I put w2k professional on a home computer hoping to resolve some driver issues that 98 had.

Now there are more driver issues, USB, Modem, multi-media. ]

so... I thought if I could remove w2k pro and go one version higher than 98 I may have more luck.

But w2k pro doesn't want to leave.

Did you try looking on the internet for drivers that are compatible with W2K.

You can try going to the manufacturers web sites or look through the many driver web sites e.g. Windrivers.com

I would rather see you use W2K rather ME.

Jim: A+, MCP W2k, Master Electrician

"A happy man is too satisfied with the present to dwell too much on the future." -Albert Einstein

Marilyn

When you installed 2K, did you upgrade 98 or reformat and install from scratch as Wolluf suggests?
I have had far more success with wipe and full installs than upgrades.

My suggestions:
1. Back up your data. Very important. Note down settings such as video card & monitor make/model, modem make/model and download drivers for peripherals if needed and burn to CD for later use.
2. Get a 98SE bootdisk from and make it up.
3. Boot PC from disk and remove all partitions.
4. Boot PC from Win2K CD and do a full install, put drivers etc on. Install IE6 SP1 then Win2K SP4 and then use WindowsUpdate to install the latest patches. If interested, at this point, make a Ghost or Drive Image image and burn to CD.
5. Install your apps and restore your data.

John.

Thanks all for the information. The problem is that this computer is very sluggish and needs a clean format and a reinstallation of programs.

I hear the concerns with using w2k instead of me. The only version I have is the w2k pro and I am not sure this is what I want or need anyway for a home computer.

The other problem I have is that I live in a remote area and downloading is quite time consuming.

When I installed w2k I upgraded from 98. I will try and create the bootdisk as jrbarnett has suggested. But I am open to any other suggestions.

marilyn,

what is the spec of your machine? 2k needs more resources than 98/ME to run well (eg, at least 128MB RAM - 256 or 512 better. Also, I'd suggest at least a 300mhz processor). This is an important consideration - if your machine has less than 128MB RAM either add more if you can or forget installing 2k (go back to 98 in that case - its better than ME).

Hello Wolluf,

This PC has 256 MB ram and a 333mhz celeron processor. I feel that I am getting lost in all of this information.

Just so I am clear, if I want to do a clean re-install of w2k I just need to boot from the w2k cd rom. If I want to reformat and return to win98 I need to create the boot disk as jrbarnett suggests, boot from floppy and then it should let me re-install 98?

This all started with the purchase of an Hp 435 digital camera. It did not want to load the software on 98 but thought 2000 would work better. I haven't even got as far as trying to install the HP software because modem driver HSP56 and USB ports no longer work.

Would you know if there is a chipset for an Xcel2000.
And do you think by loading those it could resolve my problem.
although this system is very sluggish.

1. Clean install of 2k - boot from 2k install CD (and where it asks for installation location, use the partitioning tools to remove existing partition & create new. This will then be 'clean' install). BACK UP first (as John said).

2. To reinstall 98 or install ME, boot from a 98/ME boot floppy (get one from as John and I suggested if you don't have one)), and use fdisk to remove existing partition & create a new fat32 one(if its NTFS). If its already fat32, just run format C: /Q at A: prompt. Also, BACK UP first.

3. Xcel2000 - Google gives a number of hits suggesting an M748 PC Chips motherboard. might be useful (or look for actual mobo if different). Sluggishness is in the eye of the beholder - if its compared to previous performance on same machine, just do a clean install of some operating system first (chipset drivers may improve matters - but 2k's own driver's usually good enough - specially for a board of this age).

4. 333 Celeron with 256MB RAM should run 2k ok. Just make sure you downlaod any hardware drivers 2k install doesn't have (this should be obvious from device manager after the install. something like may be useful identifying hardware without opening the case if you're not sure.

I ran win 2k on an IBM laptop that was 166 Mhz and 106 megs of ram and it was fine so I do not think the computer is that big of an issue I too would much rather see you run 2K over ME. I would be willing to download the drivers for you and burn them onto a cd and mail them to you if it will help keep you on Win2K. May take longer for you to get the drivers but will save you the frustration of waiting for them to download.

Just stumbled by and I can confirm what's been said. Marked your post as valuable wolluf, since it's good advice.
[thumbsup2]
MakeItSo

Just did this on the weekend, as my machine was 'upgraded'
from 95 to 2000 before. Backed it up, wiped it, and reloaded it. Ensure you get the proper Service Packs for
2000 (SP4), along with the Blaster fix.

Machine works mucho better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back