Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I reduce my file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2000
US
is 1,147kb to big I have tried to optimize everything as much as possible. There seems to be more complex sites on the web that don't take that long to load with standadrd dial up connections I have experianced 1 to 7 minute loads
any ideas

The biggest problems with long downloads are usually from using large imported bitmap images and sound files.

Converting as much as you can to symbols definitely helps with graphics. Make sure that you're not importing things at higher resolutions than you can display, screen resolution on standard monitors is 72 pixels per inch: there's no point in using graphics which are saved at resolutions higher than this (you won't see any difference)and you can make big savings in file size if you optimise everything in a program like Fireworks or Photoshop before bringing them into Flash.

Similarly with sound files: optimise them in a .wav or .mp3 editor before importing to Flash.

The more you use vector type objects the better - these can be drawn directly in Flash or imported from Illustrator or Freehand and are typically much smaller than equivalent bitmaps (they have the added benefit of displaying cleanly at all resolutions too).

Flash's Bandwidth Profiler will help you by highlighting where the largest files you're using are.

Wangbars right, big bitmaps can eat up the space, and sound files too; however, I've had some extremely complicated vector art that took up more space than a bitmapped copy of the same image. You may want to check to see if that helps. It saved me a few hundred k's in desperation.
The vectors always look sharper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back