Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I redirect my network clients to a new Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netmantx

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2001
US
What I am trying to do is take my exsisting clients who currently use a T1 connection to communicate with the internet and get them to go out our new connection. Our new connection consists of a DSL Modem plugged Directly into a Cisco 3640 where I have the PIX firewall software running. I can't figure it out. I know I must be missing some key element here, but not sure how to proceed. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

I'm not really sure what the problem is here.
Does your new internet link work properly?
...and is this just a question of requiring to know how to configure your clients?
Do your clients have the new gateway (ie. router IP address)setup?
do you use a proxy?
If these questions don't make sense then tell us exactly what you have done up to this point

Is this modem static or dynamic? A dynamic modem would need a program such as winpoet on the pc's to utilize the dsl. With the dsl hooked up through a hub. A modem on a network will work, however you will have latency. ( dns,host,and domain will also be needed on the pc's). This will not work on the router. To set this up you will need a ATM DSl connection an a dsl wic card.

Cisco 3640 with ADSL WIC (Recommendation for 12.1(5)YB)

Go to for more info. Good Luck Jeter@LasVegas.com Remember to pass Cisco's CCNA you need at least an 849 to pass!!!

YES THE MODEM IS SETUP AND CONFIGURED PROPERLY. I CAN PING OUT FROM THE 3640 ROUTER WITH NO PROBLEMS VIA THE PARADYNE DSL MODEM. I GUESS THE QUESTION I AM ASKING IS HOW OR WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SETUP MY CLIENTS TO USE THIS. I HAVE 5 PUBLIC IP'S TWO OF WHICH I SETUP TO BE IN A NAT POOL. WE ARE USING PRIVATE IP'S SO THEY NEED TO BE TRANSLATED TO PUBLIC IP'S VIA NAT. RIGHT NOW I AM JUST TRYING TO PROVIDE INTERNET CONNECTION. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. DO I NEED TO GO BY A PROGRAM LIKE ISA SERVER OR SOMETHING ELSE. ALL MY CLIENTS ARE NT 4.0 WITH IE 5.0 INSTALLED ON THEM. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING MY SERVERS TO WIN2K.

LATER WE WILL BE INSTALLING A WEB SERVER AND POSSIBLY A VPN OR SOME TYPE OF REMOTE ACCESS SERVER.

Set the gateway of the client machines to the internal ip of the router. From what I understand, when a client machine makes a request of a machine that is not in the same subnet, the packets get forwarded through the router to where ever they need to go.

In my situation I use a linux box to do the routing for me. All I setup on my client machines (a mix of win9x and NT) is set their default gateway to be the internal ip of the router (192.168.1.1) and I also set their default DNS servers to the ones that are provided by the ISP.

Hope this helps...

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Thanks for everyone's input. I made my clients DFG the internal interface on my router and it appears to be going out the router port to the internet with no problems. Thank you

I currently have the DNS of the ISP entered into my clients for DNS, but could I not setup my own win2k DDNS server and then point my clients to my internal DNS and point my DNS server to my ISP DNS server or is it best to leave the ISP DNS server hardcoded on each users computer.

I don't have much experience with DNS servers, but I think that the answer would depend on how many computers you have (or will have on the network). I may be wrong but I don't think there would be much of a performance difference.

If you wanted to hand out the ip address via dhcp or then internal DNS servers may make sense.

Good Luck...

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Install DNS on win 2k server, for it's "hints" point to DNS of provider.
If you want to reserve some public IP adresses for mail server , webserver etc ... install routing en remote access on the 2k server en set it's IP as DG for your clients

Phantas
CCNA/CCDA

you want an internal DNS server if you are running an intranet or local webservers with unresolved names like " you could overcom this by using the internal ip address but a local dns will decrease your traffic through your gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back