Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I recover mouse function ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busuabo

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
CA
I was using a wireless mouse in my system ( Win XP Pro , Pentium 4, 2250 mhz) when it froze. I unplugged the mouse USB receiver and plugged in a working and checked PS-2 mouse . Now I had no mouse support at all ( i.e. the mouse pointer froze ! ) when I started to reinstall WinXP Pro to repair the drivers. This was my problem : I could not complete the WinXP repair without a working mouse. The keyboard did not work during WinXP repair reinstallation ( i.e. no response from any key at all ! ). Now, each time I restart the PC, the WinXP installation process starts up again and proceed to exactly the same spot where it first demands mouse input and I get stucked there!

_ I got in the Bios set-up and double-checked the PS-2 mouse . It was setup O.K (i.e. " auto" option) .

How can I recover the mouse function to complete the WinXP repair process? Please advise .

If u plugged in the PS/2 mouse while the pc was on, that would explain why it froze. USB is hot-swappable but ps/2 is not.

I had a machine where if u tried installing win2k with a mouse plugged in, it would freeze. One of the windows updates fixed it and I could then plug in my mouse.

U can try running the install without a mouse plugged in at all and see if ur keyboard works then. U don't really need a mouse for the install/repair process anyway.

Thanks, amdbeast. I unplugged the PS-2 mouse and booted up again. Nothing changed. The keyboard was non-responsive. I also noticed from the beginning, there was a mouse pointer frozen at the middle of the screen. Where did this come from ?
I am pretty certain the keyboard was o.k. as I checked it by booting up the system with a Win98 bootdisk . I could type in commands in DOS. Please advise.

You might have fried the ps/2 connector for your mouse. This can happen if a mouse is plugged in when the machine is running. Can you verify that the ps/2 mouse works with another system? You could still use a serial mouse (if you can find one...) If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

try booting to dos with mouse drivers and make sure the mouse works. If not you have a BIOS or hardware problem. Make sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the correct ports, it's easy to get them reversed.

Thanks for these precious tips !
__ How can I check to see if the PS-2 connection was fried ? If it did, does that means I have to buy a new mobo ( It's a brandnew AsusP4B533-V , Ouch !! :-( )? Or can I replace the PS-2 Connection ? I have no idea in this area. Please instruct.

__Please give detailed guides how to check if the mouse works in DOS . I can boot the PC with a bootdisk containing <mouse.com> .

I just shut-down the PC, connected a working PS-2 mouse to the serial port using a <PS-2 To Serial> adaptor and restarted the system. The same thing happened : no mouse response , only a frozen mouse pointer at the center of the screen . There was no keyboard response here either, but the keyboard was O.K. when I used a bootdisk to boot the system to floppy drive a:\. Please advise.

After all these checkings, the mouse was not still working. I had to resort to the final solution: format the Windows partition and install a clean WinXP PRo from scrach. It worked and I still did not know why the PS-2 did not work before the installation. The unbelievable lesson is : if you do not know why, get ready to format the window partition . I guess I will spend some money for some a good Drive Image Creator to make the final solution a bit less painful . Thanks everyone for his contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back