Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW CAN I RECOVER AN EMAIL??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

soloxis

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
AU
Hi,

I really need help with that. During the weekend period I didn't received any e-mail's from a specific 2 domains. I've had a look in the GFI Mailessential logs and I saw few mails from those domains with the message "the mail was processed OK" or something like that. So, the mails come but the user wasn't enable to see it or download it?!?! Those domains are in the whitelist so they are not banned. How can I recover those e-mail's? I use Exchange 2000 on SBS 2000.

Thanx,
Cristian

Have a look at your processing rules on the GFI :

Where are the spam mails for each different category being sent to ?

Are any set to delete mail instead of tagging or redirecting ?

Hi paulha,
Well, all the messages with a certain subject, or with certain words in the body are deleted but the others are marked with [SPAM] and let them in. I've looked in the Junk Email from his Outlook and I didn't find the message. I don't now where I can look any more. To be onest I'm quite new in Exchange, before I used Linux and was much easyer, but with this one .... uffff.
At least do you have any idea where can look to see the e-mails which are coming?

Thanx!

Morning Soloxis

I would think that if the GFI ME has been set to delete certain splam classifications, then they would probably be unrecoverable, as they didnt reach a mailbox. you might want to cross check this on the GFI ME forum on the GFI site
You might want to redirect keyword and subject spam to the administrator inbox, then review them yourself once or twice a week, rather than set it to delete immediately. That way you have a bit of a safety net for yourself, although there will be a cost in terms of your time.

The ME11 admin guide is available at , worth a read if you are looking after the system.

I direct all GFI spam to a mailbox, then use the mailbox manager to remove everything older than 30 days automatically. That way the recipient has 30 days to realize they didn't get an email and I can go look for it.

I just installed a Barracuda Spamfilter so it caches everything for me as well.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Hi guys,
Thank you very much. I've created a folder when I will put all the suspected e-mails.
On the other hand do you have any idea why in the exchange mailbox folder some of mailbox's are not available for admin? For example I have few where I have access but the most of them are Access denied for admin?!
Any idea? This Exchange it will kill me!!

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back