Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i Read Barcode Reader Instruction in VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill993

Programmer
Nov 26, 2001
PK
Hello, All,
I Would like to know that how can i Access Barcode Information in VFP, and how can i SAVE the BARCODE Instructions in Variables? Please Guide Me and help me as soon as posible.
Regards.
Bill

Well there are a couple of options

You can buy bar code readers that hook to computer via the Keyboard and act just like a keyboard so what every has focus gets what the barcode Scanner scans

i use welchAllyn model st3400 no longer manufactured (supper expensive) to enter data into Foxweb web forms

Or you can use remote hand heilds that when you upload the data it is converts to flat ASCII or CSV or some Data file, which you can read into your application.

Any barcode reader i have seen includes a package of software that tranlates the Barcodes into understanderable data.

Now to print bar codes you just need the Font install on the computer which will print or display the bar code. Bar codes are nothing more that representations of ASCII table or Unicode table.

Now Next question to ask is what type of barcode standard are you going to use. This usaly depends on how much data you to give in one scann. The most complex one right know used is by UPS with those little 2-deminsional checkered box barcodes which contains the address and Tracking number in a Area the size of a quarter.

Next question is what type of reader do you want to use and how to do you want to spend doing it. Do you want to Read 2 deminsional Bar codes or linear barcodes ( the ones found on can foods any any else you buy now a days).

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back